Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Stacked Gold Bangles



Recently I saw Drew Barrymore looking unexpectedly amazing rocking piles of gold bangles. i used to think that wearing stacked gold bangles make you look busy and indecisive.

My history with stacked gold bangle
Many years back when I was growing up, wearing stacked gold bangles are trendy and embraced by wealthy ladies. The style is celebrated in northern and northeastern states of Malaysia. During Eid holiday and wedding party, women paraded gold bangles stacked up to their elbows (well, it is a bit of exaggeration), sported thick and intricate necklaces and a dozen of rings that do not missed any of 10 fingers. No, I am not describing Mr. T from the A Team. On normal days wearing a half dozen piece of bangle is common. Back then my Psychology 101 said gold jewelry is a status symbol. My mother said it is a way of savings and be stylish at the same time. My family are predominantly from north which heavily influenced by Indian, Arabs and Thai  culture which explain why gold is very much acclaimed.

Gold Jewellery as rainy day fund?
For information to dear fashionista readers outside Asia, gold jewelry in this region is crafted from a 24k or 22k gold and can be easily traded and sell at any gold shops or pawn shop based on current gold price. Malaysian banks offer Islamic pawn broking for gold jewelry for short term borrowing. Furthermore, gold can also be used as a valuable asset as collateral to get a loan. On top of money, gold jewelry is also used as dowry for a bride.

Note that gold jewellery is sold primarily based on the weight and design is slightly costed in. A stunning
bracelet in the picture is made of 22k gold weighing 40g. The cost is 40g X RM 150 plus a minimal charges for workmanship of RM500 (can bargain to a lower cost), The bracelet price is RM6,500 (USD 2,200). This is quite similar to how gold jewelry is traded in middle east. During my job posting in Dubai, gold souq is my favorite pleasure trip during weekends.

Opposed to a modern mall , the souq’s narrow lane is a home to more than 300 gold retailers and estimated of 10 tons of gold at any given time. The shop windows are crammed with necklace, bangles, and earings. Beside jewellery accessories like belts, even car key chains and baby pacifier are made of gold. Back then I can only afford several gold earings. Over the years I established my career and become more stable in income. Oblivious to my root and culture I started buying gold jewelry.

Recently celebrities are seen rocking stacked gold bangles. Seen here are Eva Mendez wearing Cartier and Giselle Bundchen wearing Ippolita.

Jenifer Lopez is the guru of stacking gold bangles. Her favorite Pomellato tango rose gold diamond bracelet reportedly cost USD 50,000 which is seen here worn in different style and pairings.
people magazine
Inspired with the look, I surveyed through goldsmith shops looking for modern design bangles which can be worn both during day and night. At the end i bought 4 bangles, a pair of yellow gold and a pair of white gold. But I definitely need more right? I will show dear Fashionistas of my result and update in this blog. Let's challenge my fashionista partner in crime to come up with one style and see who got the winning look.